Whether you are in a car or on the back of a motorcycle, accidents happen. With the proper education and training, however, many of these incidents can be avoided. Below, we shared a list of safety tips for motorcyclists, courtesy of Jim Ouellet for MotorcycleCruiser.com. Happy trails!
- Do all you can to make it easy for car drivers to see you. Ouellet estimates that 90-95 percent of car drivers involved in a motorcycle crash would say they never saw the bike. Therefore, he advises to do all you can to make sure you’re seen. Use high beams during the day and trade that black leather jacket for something bright, he says.
- Freeways are good; surface streets are bad. Ouellet says areas around shopping districts are the worst, so try sticking to limited-access roadways like freeways where car drivers can’t turn across your right-of-way.
- In busy urban traffic, stay in the mix with the cars. Do not get out ahead or behind them, Ouellet says. Additionally, “when you go through intersections where cross-traffic wants to use the pavement you own, stay right next to a car’s front fender so you’re not in the driver’s blind spot and use the car as a shield.”
- If you’re alone when you come up to an intersection where a car is waiting to cross your path, the more lateral distance you put between your path and the other guy’s starting point the better.
- Keep your eye on a vehicle that’s positioned where it could violate your right-of-way.
- Take it easy when you’re out carving canyons. When approaching a turn, Ouellet says, pick out rocks and trees that look good to hit, because you don’t want to “hit the unfriendly ones.” If you need more time to think it through, let off the gas.
For the rest of Ouellet’s tips for avoiding accidents, click here to read his article in its entirety.
Where You Can Rent a Motorcycle in Southern California
Ready to hop on a hog and set out in Redondo Beach on the back of Kawasaki but don’t have a motorcycle of your own? No worries! Rent It Today provides listings of all rental motorcycles and riding equipment in this in the southern California area through South Bay Sport Bike Rentals. including Malibu, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach and Los Angeles. Whether you’re looking for a street, sport or dirt bike, Rent It Today can help you find the perfect motorcycle for your next adventure. For more information on motorcycle rentals, visit www.rentittoday.com.