These days, almost everyone is on a budget. Whether it’s sharing an apartment or sharing a car, many are seeking ways to live frugally without sacrificing quality. Travel is no exception. In fact, one of the easiest ways to save money while vacationing is to share a rental. Splitting the cost of the rental (not to mention the gas, food, and other expenses) is a great way to travel on a budget. Below, we’ve shared a list of tips to save by sharing, courtesy of Sheryl Nance-Nash for Newsday.com. Happy travels!
- Be strategic: Nash says that if you plan on staying longer than a week, try negotiating a better rate. Being flexible with dates and location also helps, she says.
- Go direct: Nash says that renting timeshares directly from owners rather than going through a resort or management company will likely save you money.
- Pay attention to details: Nash recommends looking for a rental where the fee includes beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, and perhaps equipment for water activities. Over the course of the trip, you’ll save a ton of money for not having to pay extra for those things. Also, be sure to pick a rental with a washer and dryer, she says, especially if you’re flying. You’ll be able to pack lighter.
- Can we all just get along?: Nash recommends making sure the rental has appropriate bedding for your group and a private balcony or outdoor space so people can spread out. A little personal space is a good thing, even on vacations.
- Pay up: A vacation isn’t the time to argue about money. Nash recommends using a service like PayByGroup to make group payments easy to manage and reduce the stress for everyone.
Find and Rent Homes at Your Vacation Destination
Ready to book that vacation home on the beach or cabin in the mountains this summer? Rent It Today can help! The most comprehensive rental resource online, Rent It Today can help connect you with vacation rental homes across the country. Check out our available listings today.