Home of South by Southwest (SXSW) and the University of Texas, Austin is one of the Lone Star State’s biggest attractions. Planning a trip to the Texas state capital? Here are some of the recommended attractions as noted by TourTexas.com.
- Texas State Capitol: Standing at 302 feet tall and completed in 1888, the pink granite Texas State Capital is worth seeing. Check out one of the free guided tours offered seven days a week.
- Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum: Featuring interactive exhibits, artifacts, an IMAX Theatre, and a multi-sensory Texas Spirit Theater, this museum allows visitors to relive the pages of Texas history Monday through Sunday.
- Blanton Museum of Art: Located at the University of Texas, this museum is recognized for its European paintings and modern and contemporary American and Latin American art. Open Tuesday through Sunday.
- Congress Avenue Bats: Check out the largest urban bat colony in North America – 1.5 million strong – every night at sunset from April through October as they take off from beneath the bridge.
- Larry Bird Johnson Wildflower Center: Take in the natural beauty of the Texas Hill Country at this attraction which features planting areas, wildflower meadows, exhibits and an observation tower all created to pay homage to Lady Bird’s “devotion to native landscaping and preservation.”
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum: Open daily, the LBJ Library and Museum has volumes of presidential papers on display, a full-scale replica of the Oval Office during Johnson’s presidency, and a First Lady’s Gallery devoted to the work of Larry Bird Johnson.
- Barton Springs Pool: This artesian spring-fed swimming hole located in Zilker Park is always 68-degrees. Jump in!
- University of Texas Campus: Take a walk around of one of the largest public universities in the country. Tours of the UT Tower are available on Saturdays and Sundays from 2:00-6:00 p.m.
- Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail: Check out the heart of Austin on this 10.1-mile path that borders the lake on its flow through downtown.
- South Congress Avenue: Home to many “eclectic shops, trendy restaurants, unique accommodations, and popular music venues,” South Congress, or SoCo, is where it’s at.
Find all kinds of rentals available in Austin, Texas and throughout the USA at Rent It Today! Click here to get started.