Although spring still seems a long way off, it’s never too early to start planning a weekend away in the Great Outdoors. For those of you who enjoy spending your downtime hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, and sleeping under the stars, the start of camping season can’t get here soon enough. If you haven’t yet chosen a destination for your next adventure, here is a list of some of the must-see campsites for the New Year courtesy of Jack Charles for Eureka Tent.
- Watkins Mill State Park – Located near Kansas City, this state park sits around a 100-acre lake and has some of the best fishing in the area. There is also plenty of local wildlife to see while exploring the area around your campsite including wild turkeys and white-tailed deer.
- Hermit Island – Described by Charles as “one of the most gorgeous coastal campgrounds in the United States,” this spot in Phippsburg, Maine is set on Casco bay and offers amazing views of the harbor and several hiking trails. The campsite is privately owned, however, so call ahead to reserve your spot.
- Myrtle Beach State Park – A popular spot for East Coast campers, this state park in South Carolina features well-maintained grounds and easy access to the Atlantic Ocean. It’s a perfect place for family camping.
- Limekilm State Park – Another Oceanside campground, this state park located in Big Sur, California, features a “gorgeous grove of redwoods and breathtaking waterfalls,” according to Charles. An interesting note: Limekiln was closed form 2008-2010 due to fire damage but campsites are now available for 2014.
- Pere Marquette State Park – This Illinois park is home to some amazing wildlife including bald eagles, deer, wild turkeys, and over 230 species of birds. Set along the Mississippi River, the park also offers plenty of opportunities for fishing, shellfishing, and hiking.
Visit RIT for all of your rental camping gear needs
Already booked your stay at one of the recommended spots above? Perfect! Just realized you don’t have the proper camping equipment? No worries! Rent It Today can help!
The most comprehensive rental resource online, Rent It Today can connect you with providers of rental camping equipment including tents, cookware, and other camping essentials in your area or near your destination. To browse a list of available equipment, visit www.rentittoday.com!