After years of toiling away in college, you’ve earned your degree and just landed a big time job in the big city. After all the hard work you’ve put in over the past four years, moving should be the easy part, right? Not exactly. From finding an apartment to fit your budget to packing up your stuff to hauling your life to a new city, moving can be both stressful and expensive.
To help makes things easier on you, we’ve shared a list of tips and things to know from the folks at Quicken Loans. Good luck!
- It’s Time to Size Down: Unless you’re bringing home the big bucks, you’re likely going to have to settle for “small, oddly shaped apartments that seem outrageously overpriced but they aren’t.” With that being said, plan to store or sell most of your stuff you’ve accumulated back home.
- Public Transportation Is Your Friend: Most big cities aren’t car-friendly – storing or parking a vehicle can be expensive – and traffic can be a nightmare so take advantage of public transit such as a bus or cab.
- Yes, You Read That Price Tag Correctly: It won’t take long before you realize that everything – groceries, fast food, clothes, gas, etc. – is more expensive in the big city. Learn to stretch your money by tracking expenses, “at least until you get a feel for the economy.”
- Cash Is King: Try to keep some cash on you just in case you forget your bus pass, need to hail a cab, or want to hit up a hot dog stand on the way home from work.
- Your Day Starts Earlier: Depending on your mode of travel, plan on leaving a minimum of 30 minutes earlier than you would have before. Delays are inevitable so plan accordingly.
- Where Everybody Knows Your Name: Find people you “mesh well with” and make friends. These folks will not only be a great support system but can also show you the ropes in your new city.
Self Storage Unit For Rent in Los Angeles
If you’re heading to Hollywood and moving to the Los Angeles area and need a place to stow your belongings until you get moved in, Extra Space Storage Los Angeles provides storage unit rentals. 5×10 storage unit rentals offer plenty of storage space for the contents of a small family room or medium to large sized bedroom. These 5×10 storage units have inside access with 2nd floor elevator access.
Self storage rentals in Los Angeles include a variety of perks including: on site managers, loading docks, passenger elevators, climate-controlled units, security access, and much more. If you’re looking for inside storage containers elsewhere in the United States, Rent It Today has self storage rental listings nationwide.