2013: A Year in Review
2013 was a year marked by SEO gurus everywhere scrambling for new and inventive ways to dominate organic search. Due to the many amendments in the search algorithm made by the head honcho of search, Google, updates such as Penguin, Panda, and Hummingbird pushed search into new directions in which quality and depth of content rules supreme.
Effects of these updates left digital marketers bombarded with new and reinvented terms such as semantic search, co-citation, and authorship. The importance of things such as social signals (i.e. “likes”, “+1s”, “favorites”, etc) became ramped up in the minds of marketers. Through all the changes, Rent It Today emerged as strong as ever.
Looking back, 2013 was a year of ups and downs, struggles and successes. As the old saying goes “our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens; not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life.” Rent It Today did not allow times of struggle in 2013 to impede us. We overcame. We survived.
Let’s wind back the clock 365 days to January 2013 and take a look at the goals we had for last year.
Goal 1: Blog Redesign
Last year, Rent It Today’s blog got a facelift with updated formatting to allow multiple blogs to be displayed down the home page. Readers can now also search by category, allowing you to find the article(s) that are relevant to you or that interest you the most.
What to look for in 2014:
In the year ahead, Rent It Today hopes to continue to be the ultimate rental news source for renters and rental companies alike. We are committed to keeping you informed with up to date news about your rental niche.
Goal 2: Communication
At the beginning of 2013, our rental company partners were asked to be on the lookout for a spike in communication from Rent It Today. In this vein, we began to send out surveys, company analytics, and even squeaked in a few newsletters towards the end of the year.
What to look for in 2014:
With a recently launched, dedicated Customer Relationship Team, communication between Rent It Today, the rental companies we work with, and the customers who enable all the other gears to grind will begin to see a steep rise in communication. This will occur not only through more frequent correspondence from Rent It Today, but in the accessibility of our website and staff members. More on this later…
Goal 3: Call Center Implementation
Rent It Today’s call center opened in beta on January 16, 2013. Since that time, our dedicated customer service representatives have fielded 23,251 inbound calls, sent 43,949 leads, and have received an average score of 4.2/5 from 140 renters who completed our call center survey.
In addition to fielding any incoming calls, our call center representatives also compiled a list of 10,000+ rental companies across the U.S, Canada, and worldwide. This allows us to ensure every potential renter who contacts our call center will be able to get help locating what they are seeking to rent.
Michelle Snell, our call center team leader summed up this philosophy well: “Customer service is our top priority in the call center. We work very hard to go the extra mile so we can be sure our callers get what they want. We strive to Make Renting Simple while making sure our callers are happy and satisfied.”
What to look for in 2014:
Continuing with renewed focus in 2014, our call center team will be placing verification calls to each of the 10,000+ rental companies in our database. The purpose of these calls will be to verify information such as location, rental inventory, and any contact information. This will ensure that each person who contacts us is getting a relevant company who can service their particular needs in geographical areas where we have not yet established a customer base.
2014: Getting Back to Our Core Values
To the average observer, an anthill appears to be nothing more than a minor nuisance for the next person to mow the lawn. Little thought is given to the fact that beneath that small mound of dirt lies hundreds or even thousands of ants and unseen lengths of meticulously excavated tunnel.
Similarly, while our valued rental customers and clients can see the results of our work on RentItToday.com, the immense amount of effort underlying the site goes unnoticed. 2013 proved to be a year of internal growth and development for Rent It Today and its outstanding staff. We experienced growth not only in numbers, but as professionals. Over the next 365 days we intend to continue this growth. In 2014 we will rekindle the fire that drives each and every member of the Rent It Today Team: Our Core Values.
- Evolve The Renting World- In 2014, the Rent It Today staff will begin work on software designed to be a significant improvement for our clients in the rental industry. The Content Management System (CMS) we will be developing will allow rental companies to quickly and easily create their website and manage their inventory on a single user friendly interface. All software will be compatible with RentItToday.com and allow companies to display their available inventory on Rent It Today in real time, providing users accurate information about the availability of any given rental item.
- Promote Enjoyable Experiences- The upcoming year will see the addition of client reviews to Rent It Today. This will allow renters to provide feedback on their dealings with rental companies and to read about other renter’s experiences. Ratings will be displayed in Rent It Today’s online rental stores as well as on results pages and details listings. The goal is to ensure that renters are receiving the highest quality service throughout the reservation process and all their rental needs are being met in a satisfactory manner.
- Empower Both Customers- 2014 will be a year of visibility for Rent It Today. We are making a significant effort for both renter and rental provider to have increased access to RentItToday.com and our staff. This goal will be achieved through distribution/syndication of Rent It Today content across other relevant websites, improving the functionality and layout of our mobile website, improving analytics for Rent It Today clients, SMS delivery of rental company information to potential renters with the option for an SMS alert to rental companies when a lead is received, and help forums for both renters and rental companies to quickly and easily get in touch with us.
- Create Quality Content- Initiated in recent months, a new layout for detail listings can now be seen across the majority of RentItToday.com. The goal of this redesign is to make our website more user-friendly and make rental company contact information more visible. In addition we have also improved the manner in which content is implemented on our website. The new way content will be displayed features additional HTML formatting such as bulleting, pictures, charts, tables, and in general will serve to better highlight the most relevant information about a particular rental item.
- Make Renting Simple- In addition to redesigning detail listings on our website, 2014 will witness the unveiling of our new homepage. The homepage will feature numerous ways to search in addition to what is already in place on the current homepage. The new design will feature photo centric and geographic search options, with the goal of making it simpler for users to find what they are seeking for rent.
- Love Renting- At the end of the day, each and every member of the Rent It Today team loves renting. This is due to the fact that we have the unique ability to assist people across a wide variety of stages in their life. From the small business owner looking to take his or her business to the next level, to a son or daughter looking for durable medical equipment for their mom or dad, or the Do-IT-Yourselfer looking for tools or equipment rentals for their weekend project, our days are dedicated to helping people get what they need for a fraction of the cost of purchasing. It is this helping aspect of our daily work that gives us a sense of purpose. It is our sincere hope that this love, like a fine wine, will only grow sweeter in 2014.
On behalf of Rent It Today and its employees, I would like to extend our deepest gratitude to you, our customers, clients, friends, and family for another great year. Thanks to you and your ongoing support, we are able to continue doing what we love each and every day. Renting Has Never Been This Simple!